Unlike most exams or tests, the TOEFL has no passing or failing grades. You will receive a score for the entire test as well as a score for each section. Then you can compare it with the fundamental admission standards of any institutions or universities to you are applying to. Strive for the highest needed TOEFL score if you’re trying to apply to several institutions or universities.
The four fundamental components of the TOEFL exam format are the section, question type, number of questions, and time allotment. It takes three hours to complete the TOEFL iBT. The “iBT” (Internet-based test) element of its name refers to the fact that it is computer-based. The TOEFL test is divided into four sections: reading, listening, speaking, and writing.
There is a time limit for each section:
- Speaking time: 17 mins
- Writing time: 50 mins
- Reading time: 54 to 72 mins
- Listening time: 41–57 mins
|– Purpose Question: Your comprehension of the rationale behind a particular notion or line of reasoning will be put to the test
– Reference Question: Read the sentence or sentences prior to the underlined word.
– Inference Question: Understand the material and think about all of the possible answers as the answer may not be explicitly present in the passage.
– Question About Negative Factual Information: Read the paragraph and comprehend the desired answer.
– Rhetorical Questions – Questions about the rhetorical purpose probe the “why” of a passage.
|– Detail Question – frequently asked after a lecture, though it can also be asked after a chat. The query inquires as to why a small point was brought up in the discussion.
– Inference Question – You must comprehend the implication of a sentence given in a lecture in order to correctly answer an inference question.
– Function – Unlike other inquiries, the function question will ask you why the speaker says what he does rather than what you should infer from what you heard.
– Gist-content Question – You are asked to pinpoint the primary theme or idea of the conversation or lecture you are listening to in gist-content questions.
– Gist-Purpose Questions – You are tasked with evaluating the conversation’s or lecture’s main point of emphasis by answering gist-purpose questions.
|– MCQ – 3 options will be given out of which you choose the correct answer
– Agree or Disagree – You will be asked whether you agree or disagree with a given statement and to support your answer with examples and reasons
– Preference Question – you will be given 2 alternative scenarios and asked which you would prefer and why
– Explanation Question – you will be asked if you agree with a given statement and will have to provide an explanation about why you don’t
– Advantage and Disadvantage Question – You will be given a statement and asked the advantages and disadvantages of the same
|– Integrated writing – from a passage of 250-300 words making 3 claims, candidates will be required to write an essay explaining those claims
– Agree or Disagree – You will be asked if you agree or disagree with a statement and will have to write your reasons supporting your claim
– MCQ – Candidates will be given options complementing a given situation and will be asked to pick the most appropriate option for the situation
– Preference Question – You shall be asked if you agree or disagree with something and why
– Good/Bad Idea Question – you will be given a scenario and asked if you think it is a good idea while explaining why/why not
Tips and Strategies to Achieve a Perfect Score of 110 in TOEFL
You have now understood the TOEFL format and the type of questions you can appear in your tests. But what can you do to ensure a 110+ score on the test? Here are some pointers to note when you give the exam.
Things To Do While Preparing for TOEFL
1. Read More
Increase your reading in order to raise your TOEFL test score. Read both scholarly and popular works. For instance, newspapers and periodicals make for great reading material. Look up unknown words in the dictionary when you come across them. Analyze the information architecture of academic texts to comprehend the arrangement of concepts.
Suggested: Mistakes to Avoid in Toefl
2. Practice Tests
Test yourself with as many practice tests as you can. Numerous sources offer free TOEFL mock examinations online. Give them a go. Try to complete practice exams within the allotted time limits.
3. Memorize the question types
Keep in mind the kind of questions that can come in each section of the exam. It will keep you prepared for what’s to come and will help you strategize.
4. Time Your Reading
There are ten questions about the reading passages after each one. Timing yourself when you answer TOEFL Reading Practice questions is a useful activity. To begin, set a timer and monitor how long it would take you to answer each question.
Get the best study abroad guidance
Start your journey with the best study abroad experts in India
Suggested: Top Universities Without TOEFL Requirement
5. Learn Word Parts and Formation
There are a lot of things like suffixes, prefixes, and roots that go into the formation and meaning of a word. Knowing these will improve your writing, reading and speaking skills.
6. Track What You Learn In Practice Test
The majority of students ignore this important component of their preparation. You could think that continuing your TOEFL practice with multiple practice tests is the best method to get a good score, but going back to your practice tests and learning from your errors will be helpful.
Suggested: Everything To Know About TOEFL
Things To Do While Giving TOEFL
1. Read Carefully
Before you think of the answers, read each question carefully. Many students make the error of skimming through questions. Before beginning each test part, carefully read the instructions.
2. Be Mindful Of The Time
Typically, you won’t have much trouble finishing the TOEFL test on time. Nevertheless, it’s crucial to proceed with the questions at the proper speed. Calculate the amount of time you can spend on each question. You should succeed as long as you follow that schedule.
3. Use Smart Guesswork
Respond to all questions. For incorrect answers on the TOEFL test, there is no deductible score. This means that if you are unsure of the answer, you can guess. Make careful, nevertheless, to hazard educated predictions
Suggested: IELTS VS TOEFL
4. Listen To The Tonality
You may occasionally come across questions concerning the speaker’s attitude or beliefs. You must pay attention to the speaker’s tone of voice in order to accurately respond to these questions.
5. Take Notes
You won’t be given another chance to listen to the audio in the listening section. So take notes so that it is easier for you to answer your test.
6. Be Coherent While Speaking
You do not need to have a fancy vocabulary for the TOEFL speaking segment but you need to be clear when you speak. Also, be certain of the points you want to make and express them clearly.
7. Be Mindful While Writing
Be careful of spelling or grammatical errors when you write. Minute errors are okay but be sure to not make serious, unpardonable mistakes.
The TOEFL iBT can be a difficult and stressful undertaking to do; after all, it costs money, and your potential to study or work abroad depends on it. However, with adequate practice and thorough preparation, it is possible to be prepared and perform well.